B.Tech (All branches): At the B.Tech level, the Discipline mainly offers the basic conditioning courses and labs to the first year B.Tech engineering streams.
A number of Universities and Institutions offer Masters in Chemistry. So, why IIT Palakkad?
Futuristic solutions to the problems in society won't come in the silos of Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Engineering. Neither will they come from any single branch of knowledge. As the world becomes increasingly interdisciplinary, the traditional boundaries between various
disciplines are gradually dissolving. If that is the case, why then should Chemistry continue to be taught in a traditional, compartmentalized manner, as Organic, Inorganic and Physical?
To answer our own question, we embrace the vision that a student in Chemistry must look at the subject holistically and not as Physical, Organic or Inorganic Chemistry. This approach will prepare a student to learn and apply concepts freely and seamlessly, with a focus on the problem, cutting across loyalty to traditional divisions. A student trained in this approach will also be comfortable traversing across the disciplines in pursuit of solutions rather than confining within conventionally enforced boundaries. The carefully crafted curriculum put together by a team of experts from academia and industry provides for a sound theoretical base and ample practical exposure. The curriculum provides for choice of elective courses and aims at equipping students to take up careers in industry, in R&D and in academia.
Some of the highlights of Chemistry @ IIT Palakkad are,
- Out of 68 credits in total, 40% of the credits are earned through hands-on laboratory experience.
- Students can take even non-Chemistry electives to broaden their scope of knowledge.
- A cocktail of Chemistry with Economics, Sociology, French, or Japanese can be intoxicating indeed!
- The curriculum ample opportunities in the form of research projects, to work alongside
- Ph.D. scholars, postdoctoral fellows, and faculty members on cutting-edge problems.
- Opportunities to publish or present your research work in seminars and conferences, whether in-house or international, also abound.
IIT Palakkad also enables and supports bright and motivated M.Sc students to convert their program to a dual degree program such as M.Sc + M.S (Research) or M.Sc + Ph.D. Besides, interaction with industry experts is enabled through annual events like Industry Academia Conclaves. Regular exposure to expert-led seminars and events nurtures critical and analytical thinking. Opportunities to start technical student clubs, be part of existing ones, participate in outreach events and have a lively social life of pan-Indian flavor are the other perks.
Why choose to do a Ph.D in Chemistry at IIT Palakkad?
A Ph.D. program is best done in a vibrant academic environment that encourages creative thinking. At IIT Palakkad, you will have the opportunity to contribute as a team member to the ongoing research activities of faculty members, critically analyze your own work as well as that of others, and work alongside peers who are also highly motivated and accomplished. You will be encouraged to explore new ideas in your field and to translate your research into a device, prototype or product. The ecosystem of IIT is conducive to pollinating cross-disciplinary ideas, seamlessly accessing high-end facilities and even incubating an idea into a commercial venture. The expertise available at IIT Palakkad gives you the opportunity to do high-quality research in one of the following areas.
- Computational Catalysis
- Fundamental studies on Biophysical Chemistry
- Molecular dynamics simulations
- Equilibrium and non-equilibrium statistical mechanics of soft matter
- Structure and dynamics of the biopolymers / macromolecules.
- Materials Chemistry
- Heterogeneous catalysis
- Organic macromolecules - design, synthesis and applications.
- Self-assembly formation of discrete supramolecular ensembles and study of their functional applications.
- Engineering mesoporous polymers for selective adsorption and sequestration of pollutants/hazardous substances.
- Fabrication of functional nanostructures for bio-medicine.
- Design, synthesis and development of novel molecular entities for targeted therapy
- Bio-orthogonal Chemistry in drug discovery
- Electro-analytical Chemistry and Nano-biosensors.
- Main group and Organometallic Chemistry
During Doctoral Research you will have the opportunity to:
- Lead research projects under the guidance of your supervisor.
- Participate and present your work at seminars in the department, as well as at national or international conferences
- To get trained in the use of and deploy state-of-the-art equipment for your research
- To organize events related to research and outreach
For any academic grievances, students may kindly write to email@example.com